Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 184.108.40.20612 Technical Preview / 2012 220.127.116.114
Internet security solutions usually bear a richer plethora of layers of protection than traditional antivirus software, by attaching antispam, antispyware, privacy protection and parental control modules to the regular antivirus engine.
This kind of computer protection guarantees a click-happy experience, away from threats that may arise from the Internet, email attachments, USB drives, corrupted files or unsecured wireless connections.
Kaspersky Internet Security doesn’t fall short of these features, boasting all the capabilities you need to stay on the safe side all the time. While delivering state of the art protection from viruses and Trojans, the suite also encases protection technologies against online threats and phishing attacks, shielding your identity from malicious websites. Its cloud-based engine allows it to gather information on the latest threats, thus making sure that your computer is equipped with the appropriate defense against cyber malware.
The installation process takes a while and in order to be able to run the application properly, a restart may be required in some cases. The first encounter with the application’s interface is pleasant, it has a clean look and an organized control panel that can be located in the lower area of the GUI. This is actually the section that incorporates all the protection modules, namely: a Scanning component, Parental Control, Safe Run for applications, Safe Run for Websites, Network Monitor, Applications Activity and Quarantine.
The suite can run four different scan types: a Full Scan (thoroughly analyzes all the files on all of the disks), a Critical Areas Scan (analyzes objects that are loaded at system startup or added by user), a Vulnerability Scan (detects and removes security vulnerabilities) and a Custom Scan mode that allows you to manually select the locations to be analyzed. The scanning speed is decent and a successful scanning process returns a detailed report on the threats that have been encountered, together with the recommended actions.
The Parental Control feature enables you to manage the amount of time your children spend on the computer and to control their communication habits when using Instant Messaging applications via a set of predefined rules.
With the aid of the Safe Run modules, you may launch applications or websites in a virtual and insolated environment. The firewall includes VPN and Wi-Fi connections protection plus an intrusion prevention system against hacker attacks.
The Tools section includes a Rescue Disk feature (allows you to create a bootable CD that contains tools for detecting malware), a Privacy Cleaner (removes browser history, cache and logs), a Windows troubleshooting component (detects damaged settings caused by malware) and a Browser Configuration feature (analyzes Internet Explorer settings from security viewpoint) .
Overall, Kaspersky Internet Security is an excellent choice for users that have a rich Internet activity. On top of a decent antivirus engine, it sports a collection of protection tools that targets online malware and phishing, parental control and application virtualization.
Here are some key features of “Kaspersky Internet Security”:
· Protects from viruses, Trojans and worms
· Blocks spyware and adware
· Scans files in real time (on access) and on demand
· Scans email messages (regardless of email client)
· Scans Internet traffic (regardless of browser)
· Protects instant messengers (ICQ, MSN)
· Provides proactive protection from unknown threats
· Scans Java and Visual Basic scripts
· Two-way personal firewall
· Safe Wi-Fi and VPN connections
· Intrusion prevention system
· Intelligent application management and control
· automatically configured application rules
· security rating is assigned to unknown applications
· access to the user’s resources and data is restricted for unknown applications
· Scans operating system and installed applications for vulnerabilities
· Analyzes and closes Internet Explorer vulnerabilities
· Disables links to malware sites
· Detects viruses based on the packers used to compress code
· Global threat monitoring (Kaspersky Security Network)
Advanced Protection & Recovery:
· The program can be installed on infected computers
· Self-protection from being disabled or stopped
· Restores correct system settings after removing malicious software
· Tools for creating a rescue disk
Data & Identity Theft Protection:
· Disables links to fake (phishing) websites
· Blocks all types of keyloggers
· Virtual keyboard is provided for safely entering logins and passwords
· Prevents the theft of data exchanged via secure connections (HTTPS / SSL)
· Blocks unauthorized dial-up connections
· Cleans up any traces of user activity (deletes temporary files, cookies etc.)
· Parental control
· Improved antispam protection (plugins for Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, The Bat!, Thunderbird)
· Blocks banners on web pages
· Automatic configuration during installation
· Wizards for common tasks
· Visual reports with charts and diagrams
· Alerts provide all the information necessary for informed user decisions
· Automatic or interactive mode
· Round-the-clock technical support
· Automatic database updates
· Intel Pentium 300 MHz or higher (or equivalent)
· 256 MB available RAM
· 50 MB free space on the hard drive
· CD-ROM (for installation of the program from CD)
· computer mouse
· Internet connection (for product activation)
· Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher (for downloading updates)
· Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0
· 30 days trial
What’s New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
New in protection:
· The Sandbox technology, which uses virtualization methods to create a safe environment for running applications (Safe Run for Applications), has been significantly improved. The application now features the option to run suspicious applications on a dedicated virtual desktop, which ensures reliable protection of the operating system. Safe Run for Websites (safe browser), which protects data being entered by the user, has been implemented to allow handling websites that require entering confidential information.
The scope of the Web Anti-Virus component has been expanded thanks to the new modules that had been added:
· Online Banking identifies banking websites and allows the user to switch to Safe Run for Websites, which has been designed to handle this sort of web resources.
· Safe Surf consists of previously implemented Kaspersky URL Advisor enhanced with a new mode of blocking websites with high threat rating calculated by Kaspersky Lab. When this mode is enab…